HTML Help Forum

Convert Microsoft Publisher to Web Page

Favorite editors, HTML to PDF conversion, validators & accessibility, sending email in HTML format, and more...

Convert Microsoft Publisher to Web Page

Postby AndesHelp » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:08 pm

I have a website for an Evangelist/Book Writer. He publishes newsletters throughout the year, dealing with Israel and the Mid-East.

He provides his newsletters to me in Microsoft Publisher format. It normally takes me anywhere from 4 to 6 hours to convert each newsletter to the website HTML. They have graphics and special characters.

The converted newsletters can be viewed at:

I tried the Save As HTML. That dumps the graphics and special characters. Is there a tool which would make this a little easier to accomplish?

Thanks
AndesHelp

Postby PayneLess Designs » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Sorry. I overlooked your post somehow. Have you tried looking at the following info:

I doubt if you can get the files made in something other than a Microsoft product? Maybe a Visual HTML editor that generates HTML code and will probably be easier to clean up. Even Word has a filter:

Didn't come across an HTML filter for Publisher, but you might familiarize yourself with the Word filter and try it with a Publisher file.
PayneLess Designs
Site Admin

Publisher to Web Page

Postby AndesHelp » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:56 pm

Unfortunately, the Convert to a web page is not very clean for Microsoft Publisher 2007. If I were to do an entire website in Publisher and then convert that to a website, it might work OK. It's almost like Microsoft tried to merge Publisher and FrontPage.

Here is the link to the Web Page created with Publisher 2007 Tools.

Here is the same web page I manually converted:

I was just hoping and dreaming for an easier alternative.

Thanks for the help.[/url]
AndesHelp

Postby PayneLess Designs » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:12 am

The easiest alternative I've found is NEVER to use any Microsoft product to make anything I will have to use as a web page. I was really hoping the Word 2000 HTML filter would work, but guess the 2007 uses different Microsoft Schema which is used to "talk" to other M$ products.

Your page is using a "XHTML 1.0 Transitional" DocType, but you are not coding to this DocType. It is a very strict coding and does not allow deprecated tags like <font> tags to be used. You did a good job, but you might want to correct the following code errors:

Word 2007 has two ways to save a file as HTML. One is a filtered version. Don't know if Publisher 2007 has this same option.
PayneLess Designs
Site Admin

MS Publisher 2007 is not friendly

Postby AndesHelp » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:45 am

You're right about not using Microsoft products to create what I will be using on a web site. However, that Evangelist was taught to use MS Publisher many years ago and just will not use anything else.

That website is one I have been working on to update and fix my coding errors. I have set the foundation for it and corrected the home page. That page will now validate:

Now, I just have to carry those corrections through the other web pages.

Thanks for your help. :)
AndesHelp

Postby PayneLess Designs » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:44 am

:lol: Yeh, I'm stuck in my ways on many things, too. You're welcome and good luck.
PayneLess Designs
Site Admin

Return to HTML Tools